Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Nelson Mandela's in the Bathroom

In my mom's bathroom, she has the following excerpt from Nelson Mandela's inaugrual speech hanging beside her toliet (they were originally written by Marianne Williamson....I have no idea who she is just thought I would give her props too.) I was in there yesterday (yes, I go potty) and I read this again for the first time in awhile. I have nothing to add here; it was just a great reminder to me of how to live out the Gospel. Let the words sink in as truth and be encouraged!


Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I found you by blog hopping one day, and pop in to read when I can!
    That is is a wonderful and powerful piece!
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wondering why such an amazing blog hasn't been updated in over a year... :(

    ReplyDelete