Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sweet Tea

Isabel our guide gave us some papers last night about Collins. She had Collins "finding ad" from where they placed her picture and finding info in the paper to see if anyone would come forward to "claim" her. Isabel also had answers to some questions that we had for the orphanage. One of the questions was "Who named Mingjiao and what does her name mean?" Dr. Li, the orphanage doctor, named her. Li is her last name and it is for the Licheng District which was where she was found. Her first name Ming means "tea" and Jiao means "sweet." Sweet tea.
Born to be a Southern girl after all!

Jerod and I went and hid downstairs in the lobby to see her as she came in. She walked in holding the hands of two nannies with Dr. Li in front of them. She had on pink pj's that we sent her and some yellow crocs that were in a care package to her recently. (We later found out that she had gotten sick on the train on the way in and they had to put her pj's on her.) We headed up the stairs as they were in the elevator and debabted if we should go on up or give them a second to get settled. Jerod said he was going up so I followed him to the 3rd floor.

She was sitting on a couch with the nurse of the orphanage and a nanny. I walked up and sat down on the floor in front of her. She just stared at me. I started pulling all my "tricks" out of my bag. First was a toy telephone. Nope. Then a kitty stuffed animal. Nope. Next was a sucker. Yep. She held it but never ate it. Then came the
Hello Kitty stickers. Winner!
We walked into a board room to do the paperwork. I had stopped to talk to a family in the hall and when I came in the room this is what I saw

Jerod had totally won her over and they were looking at pictures on the camera.

Until this point I hadn't held her yet. I finally decided to give it a try and see what she would do. We sat down and she sat in my lap for a few minutes. Then something clicked and reality set in. She started crying and reaching for her nanny. I put her down and she went over to her. The nanny said "Mama" and motioned for her to come to me. Collins shook her head no and leaned back into the nanny. Ugh. How hard is this for her. Can you imagine? Anyway, her nanny put her down and I picked her up a few seconds later. These big tears started to roll down her face. The nanny brought me a juice box to give to her and Collins sucked it down. I sat down with her to play in the floor and she started to cry again. This time, though, it was interesting. She wanted to go to the nanny but she wanted me to carry her over there. Big step forward. I did and Collins and I shared a chair with her nanny for a minute.

We took some pictures with the people from the orphanage and signed some more papers.


They gave us a bag with some snacks for her and some really sweet things: a photo album with pictures of her and her friends, a wrapped box with soil from the orphanage, a lockett for a long and healthy life, and the clothes she was found in.

It seemed like the paperwork was over in a split second and everyone disappeared. The nannies left as well as Dr. Li and so now it's just Jerod, me and Collins. She starts crying again and this time it's loud. She's reaching for the door and looking around for them. I kind of wanted them to come back too. Her cry was so sad.

We made our way up to our room and the tears kept coming. Jerod and I would distract her for a minute but everytime she looked at me she would start crying again. I was a reminder of her "mama" (that's what she called her) that just left her. At one point, Collins took my hand and lead me to the door. We walked into the hall and she headed for the stairs. I had to just pick her up and walk back in the room. This is where I just have to trust God to fill in the gaps where I can't. I felt so helpless that I couldn't even communicate with about what was going on and why.

This picture is right after we got back in the room and she's crying for her "mama." But even though she is crying for her, she's letting me hold her and comfort her which a great thing.

She cried for awhile and then I pulled out the bubbles. Winner, winner, chicken dinner! She loved them. Got my first smile then. I also got to feed her some fruit snacks which is a big deal. We played for the next hour. She loved the Collins baby doll (thanks, Meredith) and then she got all into these Dollar Store disco ball key chains. She would take them out and put them back in these little stacking cups.

We went down to the restuarant in the hotel to eat but it didn't last. Collins was so tired. She never cried, she just fell asleep in my lap at the table. I brought her up to the room and laid with her until she fell back asleep. She's been asleep ever since.

I can't remember the last time I had this surreal of a day. So strange and yet, oddly, really "normal." Everyday is going to bring it's challenges, but today was a good day.... even with the tears.

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day!!! Collins did SO much better than SJ. She cried loud and hard and sad from the minute they handed her to me. But just like Collins, the minute the bubbles came out, she started to smile. So sweet and yes SO surreal!!! LOVE the meaning of her name~ such irony and yet prophesy :)! LOVE GOD!!! :) We are so happy for you and so thankful you have Isabell there with you! I saw her in the one pic. You both look SO happy and completely blessed!!! I showed SJ the pics and she just stared at Collins. I asked her who the nanny was and she said Mimi~ her middle sister. I guess in a way she does. Didn't say anything about the dr and smiled at Collins and called her baby. I have checked my computer 1000 times. Scott just laughs at me. He remembers those first moments and I am right there reliving our first ones with SJ. I could write forever but I will stop for now and wait for your next post. Hope you all sleep!!!
    Blessings with your precious daughter!!!
    XO Shay

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh so glad she is with you all! I did adoption videos and did many for toddlers and most of the time it was a hard transition for them and one where the sweet girl tried to keep her shoes in her mouth to hold on to every last belonging she had from the SWI as she was headed to the door to leave...the mom was patient and loved her gently and by the end of that two weeks they were INSEPARABLE!!! praying for you all and for her to feel and you all a peace from our Heavenly Father that He has good and perfect plans for good and not evil for a future and a hope!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I'm crying happy tears. I so remember that day like it was yesterday :) So happy for you guys. We are praying for little Collins today and are so thankful to see God working in her little heart. He created her for you!
    Loving the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a thousand words to write but I will go with "Praise God". I am in awe and may not leave this chair for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace and I are reading this with some tears...how awesome that you have this blog and the pictures. Your Jeb is out front screaming and running around with Asa and is so happy....Collins will be doing that soon in your front yard! Best wishes and many prayers your way...Genie and Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so beautiful to see Collins in your arms. We will pray for God to give her little heart a sense that she belongs with you, even as she grieves the loss of all things familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for allowing us all to share in your amazing journey. I felt like I was in the room with you as I read the details of your day. What a privilege!! Before the foundation of the world, this precious baby was meant to be yours. You are so blessed to have one another!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey ya'll! Sweet, sweet photos of your girl! Phil and I are just lovin' them. I remember that day being so sureal and yet so fulfilling. God will fill in those gaps. He will bond her to you as a means of bringing her to Himself. You are His vessels of grace in her life. You will be so blessed as you pour into her! I love seeing pictures of you and Jerod with her. Fun, Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm tearful reading your post. Just so honored to journey "with" you. LOVE TECHNOLOGY. She is beautiful... like her Momma! Really excited about where God has you. I'm taking notes from you on adoption, you can takes notes from me on having four kids. God is good... love that He brought us this far "together." Muah.

    ReplyDelete