Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Waterproof Mascara and Shots of Three


Two days ago we visited Collins' orphanage. It was a crazy day. I had prepared myself for a day of grief and tears, but halfway through we ended up in an executive "lunchroom" doing shots of beer with high ranking officials of Fujian province....that's China for you.

Jack, the Director of Fujian Province Adoption and International Marriage, picked us up at the hotel at 8:20. Actually, he was there at 8:10 hurrying us through breakfast because it was rush hour and we had to catch the 9:00 train to Putian City. I threw some fried rice and bread in a to go box and we ran to the cab. After dashing through morning traffic and nearly dying 20 times on the way, we jump out of the car with Collins and two huge bags of clothes for the orphange in tow. I realized then why China has so many special needs babies for adoption (and I'm not joking about this.) They can't keep up. Everything happens at lightening speed. Really, may God be with the healthy person who sprains an ankle because they will miss a train and be run over trying to get there. Side note, Collins LOVES new things. She loves riding in cars. She loves Wal-Mart. Elevators, escalators, trains and weird food, she loves. She's totally fine in the midst of all this madness. I'm probably freaking out more than she is, but it's nerve wrecking

The high speed train is surprisingly clean and quiet and it's fast. What would have taken us 2 1/2 hours only took us 40 minutes on the train. It was nice to sit and be still for a moment though. Collins fell asleep and we talked to Jack about adoption and Fujian province. Who knew Jack was a really important person in Fujian and in China. He's on the news all the time and friends with the Vice Premier of China. For whatever reason, he decided to go with us to visit Putian. He said he hasn't been there in three years, so he's quite sure they will want to take him to lunch after our orphange visit.


Putian City

When we pull into Putian, Collins is still asleep. I wake her up and say a prayer for her as she has no idea what we are about to do. The day before we had seen her nanny and Dr. Li at the Civil Affairs office. She had been really good with it. She went to her nanny but didn't cry for her and everytime she needed something she came to me, not her. That was a great sign. She was starting to figure out who I was. But we were going to see them again today and see all of her friends. I wasn't sure how it was going to go.

When we walk up the stairs, her nanny and Dr. Li were waiting for us. Collins is still in a fog. Her nanny reaches for her, and she leans in to go to her. I walk close by and hold her hand. I have no idea where we are going first. We wanted to see her finding place as well as get pictures of Collins friend JingJing's finding place for our friends that couldn't see it when they were in China. After driving down a dirt road, we pull into the orphanage. I recognize it immediately. The orphanage is actually more like a compound. Several buildings with courtyards and sidewalks. Like the rest of China, it's dusty and run down. Collins is looking around a little confused but okay. She would look at me and then look around again wondering why her two worlds were colliding.
Putian City Social Welfare Institute



Dr. Li starts to walk us through to what I am guessing is the childrens building, but I still don't really know what the plan is. We walk up a ramp and pass an old, rundown playgound. Collins doesn't really pay much attention to it. At the top of the ramp, there is a very Western looking building. Turns out, it was the original orphanage building that was built by Christian missionaries. Totally threw me off, but it makes me happy to know that. We turn right, and I see a gate. Collins starts squealing and jumps down to run toward the gate. I then see two little boys standing staring at us. She is so excited to see them and immediately starts to play. We go through the gate and on the left is this tiny play room with maybe 4 other children in it. Two of the kids are on these rocking horse things and Collins goes straight over to one of the boys, pulls him off and starts to rock next to her friend. The funniest part was that he let her. I'm thinking she was the playground bully; they said she was always like that. The Original Orphanage


All the nannies were there and everyone is loving on her and saying hello to us. We stay and play for about 4 minutes and then it's time to go. It was a whirlwind. I'm going to have to go back and watch the video just to remember the details. I thought we were going to go see her room but we start to walk back out the gate. As we go, Collins is in my arms and in the sweetest little voice starts waving and saying "Bye bye. Bye bye. Bye bye." to her friends. No tears for her. It was like she knew she was always going to get out of there. There were lots of tears for me though thinking that some of those kids may never leave that tiny playroom.

We walk back to the van, and (quickly) off the Collins finding place. In hindsight, I think the rushing was purposeful. The orphanage was terrible. About 85% of the people there are severely mentally disabled. I have no idea, besides God's protection and mercy, how she made it out as un-scarred as she seems.
Collins was left at the SOS Children's Village which is set up like the Big Oak Ranch. It is a really nice facility and whoever left her I'm sure had hopes that they would keep her. We take a few pictures and I watch Collins pull on the gate and walk around totally oblivious to the significance of where we were.

I'm not as emotional as I thought I would be. Maybe it's becuase we were just jerked around the city without much time to reflect inbetween. I had no idea that the craziest part was about to happen.

Jack had warned us that when we go to lunch that the hosts would want us to drink beer with them. I'm not a big beer drinker, but it's percieved as rude if you don't, so ok. I'll do it. We walk into a private lunch room which looks more like a board room with a round table. I didn't know there was a head of a round table but I was quickly ushered to a new seat when I tried to sit there. We start out with some appetizers on the big lazy susan on the table. Jerod is loving the dried minnows and I'm still trying to get past the shrimp eye balls and head that I have to take off. Collins, on the otherhand, is eating it all. Amazing. The rounds of odd food keep coming and the toasts begin. We toasted to everything from the health of Collins to the health of the pinkie toes of the world. Every toast we have to drink a shot glass of beer. By the end of the day, we were doing toasts in groups of three. Apparently, if you want to be really, really, really good friends you take shots of three together.
30 bottles of Beck's later, we head back to the train station. We get in our seats and in about 30 seconds Jack and Collins are both asleep. I just stare out the window of the train and thank God for waterproof mascara on a day like today.

9 comments:

  1. oh my stars...strange.....girl, I am thinking of you! Please come back home...after this post I am a little worried about you....lol!!! Glad to see that Collins feels secure...what a blessing...I feel like you have been gone for years! Keep on posting...it is exciting to see what is going on with you!! Much love, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a major day! Now while reading what the day ended up being like... we made a good decision not to go with EK~ she would have been completely ill from the stress of it all. BUT SO thankful you all went and had the wonderful experience of seeing our precious girls' home. What a journey... Collins is amazing to be able to go with the flow so well. SO thankful for the finding place pictures... not sure how they make me feel but still so happy to have them! I think I held SJ more today than she walked... just couldn't put her down for seeing the place where she was left. So real... Can't wait to see your video!!! Can't wait for you to get home and meet each other!!!
    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! How awesome, what a great, amazing, crazy day!! Yes, you're definitely in CHINA! I don't think anyone can understand it if they haven't been to China in the adoption process and been able to visit an orphanage too. What a huge blessing from God that you were able to go to the SWI, and the two finding spots. How sweet God is, in the whirlwind. OH my, beer guzzling - how funny. Good for you, I bet it took you a while to recover from that. So glad that she is bonding so well to you both. Hugs, Can't wait to see you all home. When you do arrive back??

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh girl...you are totally built by God to handle these situations...you are such a wonderful mom and i am so excited about your new addition! To God be the glory,great things he has done!
    love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am everything from sad to elated to jealous (of the beer, of course). what a rich memory and how sweet that collins has such good friendships at her former home. she will need some bully skills so i think this is a very good sign too. what a day, friend. i just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing experience for you... one that you will never forget. Collins sounds like such a resilient child. I can't wait to see how see blossoms in your care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading about your day. We got to see Sarah's orphanage, too, but from what I understand, I think it's pretty rare these days. What a gift to get to see what had been her world. I love the photo of her asleep in your arms. She looks so at rest and peaceful with her mommy!
    So are you in Guangzhou now? If you're craving food from home (which we totally were at this point in our trip), don't miss out on the pizzas from the Italian restaurant on the island. If you get them to go, they come in a little gift box tied up in a bow. So great! Also, the Magnum bars at the 7-11 across the street from the White Swan rock. We ate them every night. Best ice cream bars ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Al & Jerod,

    Karen has wanted to post a comment for days now and I finally got us set up to make one. You guys are killing us, bringing back so many memories, happy & sad! It is amazing how similar your hotel room was to what we stayed in when we were in Hadley's home town. How about those tiny chairs and rock hard beds? Your little Sweet Tea is beautiful and we are amazed at how well she is doing. Hope you've had a chance to eat at the Thai restaurant on the opposite side of the island from the Swan. We ate there 4 times. Jerod - get Rebecca or Lilly to take you to the big electronics mall. We can't wait for you guys to bring her home! Al - Carol Lettuce says Hi!

    Love,

    Pat and Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just went back to this post and saw all the pictures! Love them all! What an amazing day!!! And you actually saw our daughters' home. Can't wait for us to meet!!!
    Blessings!
    BFF

    ReplyDelete